Yankee Pot Roast
3 to 3-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (arm, shoulder or blade) (2-1/2 lb)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 oz) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 pkg. (16 oz each) frozen stew vegetable mixture
- Combine flour and 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Lightly coat beef pot roast with 2 Tbsp flour mixture. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown pot roast.
- Mix remaining flour mixture with broth, wine and thyme until smooth. Add to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender. Skim fat.
- Carve pot roast; season with salt. Serve with vegetables and sauce.