Wine-Braised Short Ribs
2-1/2 to 3 hours
- 2 lb beef chuck short ribs, cut into 3" x 2" pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) Italian-seasoned crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Cooked soft polenta or pasta, optional
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown beef short ribs. Remove; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Add onion to pot; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, wine and ribs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender
- Remove ribs. Skim fat from cooking liquid; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve ribs with sauce and polenta.