Osso Buco with Risotto Alla Milanese
- 6 veal shank cross cuts, cut 2" thick (3 to 3-1/2 lb)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 tsp each dried basil and dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp each ground black pepper and ground red pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Risotto alla Milanese (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, 1 tsp grated lemon peel and 1 minced garlic clove
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot; brown veal cross cuts in batches. Remove; sprinkle with salt. Pour off drippings.
- Add wine; cook and stir until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, rosemary, black pepper and red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and 2 cloves garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add veal and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours or until veal is fork- tender. Combine gremolata ingredients; sprinkle over veal and tomato sauce. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes. Serve with risotto.