Cowboy Beef Stew
2-1/2 to 3 hours
- 2-1/2 lb beef for stew, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 pkg. (12 to 14 oz) dried bean soup mix with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 oz) beef broth
- 3 cups frozen diced or hash-brown potatoes, optional
- Soak beans according to package directions. Reserve seasoning.
- Coat beef with reserved seasoning. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef in batches. Pour off drippings.
- Drain beans; discard water. Combine beef, beans, tomatoes and broth in pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add potatoes; simmer, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.