Autumn Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
3 to 3-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (arm, shoulder or blade) (3 to 3-1/2 lb)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-1/2" x 1/2" pieces
- 2 large parsnips, cut into 2-1/2" x 1/2" pieces
- 1 small leek, cut into 1-1/2" pieces
- 1-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and lemon pepper
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press onto beef pot roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown pot roast.
- Add 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables; simmer, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables. Skim fat. Measure and return 2 cups cooking liquid to pot. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly.
- Carve pot roast. Serve with vegetables and sauce.